Berks County Heritage Center
Architecture, Civil Engineering
Restoring History in Berks County
Located approximately 1.5 miles down the existing Union Trail from the Berks County Heritage Center in Bern Township, Lock #47E was originally operational from 1827 through 1888 and was last restored in September 1976
Both Warehaus’ Civil and Architectural teams are working together to restore the timber gates and surrounding stone walls to aesthetic and safe condition for pedestrian trail users. The Lock Gates will be nonfunctional and will exist for visual and educational purposes
Warehaus’ Civil Engineering team worked closely with the architect to define the scope of work necessary to complete the restoration work. The Warehaus team secured paperwork to restore the Lock Gate in a Historic Abandoned Waterway that is not technically classified as a Wetland and submitted an Erosion & Sediment Control Plan to the Berks County Conservation District to facilitate the project. The civil team also partnered with an environmental consultant to obtain a GP-11 from the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP).
Scope of work for the project includes Environmental Wetlands Delineation Clearances, PNDI Clearances, PHMC Clearances for Historical Impacts, and Bog Turtle and Blue Heron Impact Clearances.