The 1895 Federal Building was York’s first dedicated post office, designed by U.S. Treasury Department Supervising Architect Willoughby J. Edbrooke. In 1911, the post office was replaced by a larger, more modern building and in 1917 several Masonic Lodges in York purchased the building, which was later sold to the York Rescue Mission for use as the Lighthouse Youth Center. The Youth Center made minor changes on the interior, including installing a basketball court in Gethsemane Hall. Despite its continued use, almost all of the building’s historic spaces, features and finishes remained intact through the end of the 20th century. In 2016, the York City Redevelopment Authority purchased the building for potential rehabilitation.